emergency-preparednessZombie Prep - 06.19.2012
The ZPOC will happen, but it won’t scare away your monthly visitor/gift/fiend/demon. No one seems to cover this need when talking about bug-out bags but you can’t really ignore this if you’re a woman. This video was in response to a question on the website about feminine hygiene. Our reader asked:
“I was hoping you could shed some light on female hygiene (specifically during that time of the month). I figure that we could stash a bunch but happens when they run out and going out and finding more isn’t possible?”
In summary, we cover 4 options:
- Scavenge clean baby diapers and adult diapers as substitutes
- Buy reuseable alternatives (pads, sponges, cups)
- Make reuseable alternatives
- Use items from nature
Watch the full youtube video for details on pros and cons, prices, tips and sources/vendors. Remember to LIKE us on FB, follow us on twitter, subscribe to our youtube channel, sign up for our email list and/or download our podcasts (see links above).
Some product links:
Menstrual Color Cotton Pads – 3 – Pack
Sckoon Organic Cloth Menstrual Pads – One Irregular Pad 60% Off
Glad Rags – The Keeper Menstrual Cup Size B
Jade and Pearl – Sea Sponge Tampon 2 Pieces – Sea Pearls Sea Sponge Tampons (Reusable)
Photo Credit/permission: Harry Finley, Museum of Menstruation, www.mum.org
Check out the Museum of Menstruation for trivia and information. Here’s another gem from there:
Zombie News - 06.13.2012
Do you have the skills and determination to be one of the last people on Earth?
Try out for this new show and compete to win ownership shares in one of Vivos Shelters’ Luxury state-of-the-art underground shelters.
Deadline June 20.
Let us know also if you choose to apply, we’d love to share our knowledge with you! And there might even be some swag (from us, not them) if you get on the show… Spread the word and invite some worthy competitors.
Best of luck, Thrivalists! Be awesome. ~ You’re already ahead by keeping our company
Zombie Fun - 06.08.2012
During a brief rest from their intense, groundbreaking research, two members of our team contemplate the pros and cons of the coming Zombie Apocalypse:
Reviews - 06.05.2012
Hey Zombie Apocalypse Preppers…we know you can’t wait to live on a steady diet of Twinkies and bacon, but there’s a catch. While that sounds awesome, it actually has some drawbacks. When we’re all living on a survival diet, we’ll need to be at least a little careful to get adequate nutrients if we’re going to be busting caps in undead heads. Poor nutrition means diminished performance, both mental and physical, and that puts everyone at risk when we’re playing with sharp objects and things that go boom. In particular, quality protein will be hard to come by without hunting or trapping, both of which may be risky in areas of high Zed activity. Oh, you’re a Vegetarian? Yeah, good luck with that…
In this vid, Raymond discusses these issues, and reviews an excellent company, True Nutrition.com! Check them out to make your own personal protein powders, and stock up!
Reviews - 05.29.2012
Who says you need a big, expensive, fancypants knife for the Zombie Apocalypse? Companies that make big, expensive, fancypants knives, that’s who.
In this video, resident guy-who-likes-to-play-with-sharp-things, Raymond, goes over the merits of the exceptional Mora Knives Companion, in carbon steel! Don’t be a dangus…watch the video, then go get you one of these fantastic, practical knives!
Zombie Prep - 05.03.2012
Oh, so you’re all set you say, not worried? You’ve done your homework, your research, joined our network, got two bug-out bags, a safe house or supplies stash (or two), got some defensive and survival training?
Too bad, you’re going to die anyway. While death is as sure as taxes, the length of your life will really depend on your understanding of Murphy’s #2 law, namely all your plans will go to sh!t.
This little schpiel (schpelling?) is not a sarcastic tutorial (ok maybe a little bit) telling you the reverse of what you should do. I’m actually, really, frealz, telling you the best way to “not to be prepared” when dangers/zombies approach. This may seem basic but trust me, it’s the simple stuff that’s easy to forget or ignore.
THE ZEROETH LAW
Accept and believe Murphy’s #2 law. Your plans will go to sh!t (especially your most elegant ones). Learn Rule #1 through 5 now, not later and definitely not before the ZEROETH LAW asserts itself. See Rule #1.
Douglas Adams’(seseses) says, “DON’T PANIC!”
Accept that even if you tell your brain not to panic, YOUR BODY WILL PANIC ANYWAY and beat you to it. In the meantime, you might lose or get tunnel vision (where your focus narrows and you don’t notice things in your periphery), your fine motor skills will fail, you forget to breathe, your hearing might get impaired, etc. If you can simulate panic/stress in a safe place beforehand, you’ll know what your tendencies are.
1) BREATHE DEEPLY, A LOT (your brain needs oxygen, esp. if you’re going to be running). Stay tuned for future discussions on the utility of breath for self defense and fitness.
2) To fix tunnel vision, OPEN YOUR EYES WIDE AND MOVE YOUR HEAD (and eyes) left to right or right to left, up/down, down/up and describe something you see out loud (ok you can whisper), the more detail the better. E.g. left corner, red door, 3 feet away; touching distance, absurd tattoo of your panicked buddy, 2 o’clock tall mirror reflecting window…. This serves primarily to re-engage your eyes and mind to “snap out of it” and secondarily, this forces you to look around and see your options. Additionally, repeating a mantra (1) can help you start to reset yourself.
3) MOVE YOUR FINGERS. Open and close your hands rapidly, or rub them together hard, even if it hurts. This won’t completely fix all your dexterity issues, but it will help the parts of you that will probably be the most jittery. And personally, I think seeing your hands shake makes you want to shake even more (think about when you let your teeth chatter when you’re cold, doesn’t it make the rest of you shiver?).
MAKE A CHOICE AND DO IT QUICKLY.Will it be the right choice? Maybe not, but it will have a higher chance of succeeding that not doing anything. While actively “panicked” you are dosed with adrenaline, which can help push you beyond your typical limits in whatever action you take.
- If your choice involves close combat, AIM/LOOK, ATTACK FAST, DON’T STOP (definitely DO NOT do the Hollywood “Now I’ve got you” delay scene and if you do, you’re a doosh and won’t/shouldn’t live too much longer). Assume YOU WILL BE / CAN BE ATTACKED FROM ANY AND ALL ANGLES.
- IF IT’S GOTTEN NOISY, GET NOISIER. Release your inner beast in a yell, as many as you want, preferably as you strike. This is called a kia in most martial arts. This is not just to be a badass, it also helps you breathe because, when threatened, most people hold their breaths. I also believe it will strengthen your strikes, mostly because yelling tricks your mind into anger or having more conviction.
[FUN UNVERIFIED FACT: "A kia (a fighting cry used in Japanese martial arts) uttered in a minor key can effect partial paralysis of one's opponent by abruptly lowering the arterial blood pressure." - astramate.com)]. Not sure what the zombie effect would be though.
LEAVE YOUR EGO BEHIND (Especially if your ego is a doosh or you are). This is no time for blame, crying, regret, I told you sos. Sticks and stones break bones, but wasted words will make zombies eat you. If you’re the leader and you didn’t declare a plan fast enough, too bad, you just lost alpha status right then and there (in which case, see Rule #3). If you weren’t the leader and you didn’t declare a plan, see Rule #3 or sell your own plan to the group in 5 seconds (always good to practice your elevator speech skills, btw). If you fail to win the group, shut up and see Rule #3.
ITS NOT OVER ‘TIL ITS OVER. Nuff said.
1) Find your Mantra by Sam Murphy. Runner’s World. 27 April, 2011. http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/motivation/fighting-talk-find-your-mantra/6589.html
Zombie Apocalypse Announcement - 05.02.2012
In the US, May has been declared National Zombie Awareness Month. We here at ZPN would like to take the opportunity to spread zombie apocalypse (ZA) awareness and to remind people to prepare.
For survival purposes, consider the magic number 4: